The Association of Croatian Travel Agencies is one of the project partners
PROJECT DURATION: 36 months (September 2020 – September 2023)
- European Center for Eco and Agritourism (ECEAT), The Netherlands
- European Association of National Associations of Travel Agencies and Tour Operators (ECTAA), Belgium
- FUTOURIS, Germany
- Dutch Tour Operators Association (ANVR), The Netherlands
- Association of Finish Travel Industry (SMAL), Finland
- Association of Croatian Travel Agencies (UHPA), Croatia
- Portuguese Association of Travel Agencies and Tourism (APAVT), Portugal
SUSTOUR aims to foster the capacities and skills of 175+ tour operators (SME’s) to implement training, management systems, standards and solutions, which will improve their sustainable management and performance and open up new market opportunities.
Objectives and activities
Specifically the project seeks to:
- To update existing standards, training and (online) implementation tools to effectively implement sustainability within tour operators and their supply chain. A group of 45 advisors and auditors from 12 different countries will be trained and certified.
- To develop standards, trainings, tools, and criteria to reduce and better manage carbon and plastics, two of the key environmental impacts of the travel sector. Specific tools will be developed for the carbon management of (shore) excursions.
- To engage and an build capacities of a critical number of SME tour operators through a blended training approach (classroom training, online, webinar, video seminars). 175+ SME’s will be selected to benefit from the wider direct financial support programme.
- To coach 120 tour operators towards complying with 100+ best practices trough onsite, group and distance coaching. Companies will develop detailed sustainability report.
- To evaluate and certify tour operators independently on the basis of international standards. As a result it is expected that 120 tour operators will obtain the basic Travelife Partner award and 60 tour operators will receive the Travelife Certified award of which at least 10+ EMAS registration.
- To develop and implement a methodology and online tool for the sustainability certification of excursions by involving excursion suppliers including (local) transport, activities (e.g. boating, diving, city tours), food and guiding services. They will be implemented in practice among 150+ excursions involving the assessment of 2.000 tour operator suppliers.
- To create market linkages and related financial benefits for the supported SME’s and to disseminate the project results to the wider travel sector via the networks of project partners.
- To facilitate an effective implementation of SUSTOUR involving all project partners and external stakeholders leading to the planned impact, outcome and output of the SUSTOUR project and to report in detail on the results and impact of the financial support provided.
SUSTOUR is co-financed by the European COSME Program that aims to boost the competitiveness and sustainability of European SME’s.
Please find here the list of the participating SMEs and an overview of companies per country and support module.